Started Aug 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Andrew Hodgkinson
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
DP2m banding: New unit much better than old
Aug 21, 2012

My DP2m was producing nasty banding in images so I sent it back for replacement. To be honest, I didn't expect much change. I haven't had the chance to do directly comparable shots due to weather differences, but so far, things look a lot better.

First, an ISO 400 indoor shot with the new camera. Note the description carefully please - it contains vital info about shooting conditions and camera orientation.

Now roughly the same thing with the old camera, slightly faster shutter speed (better light - should be less banding...?). Note the description again.

I'd say the banding on the old is considerably more pronounced. The new one again, this time rotated so the banding should be in the same direction (horizontal):

Now an outdoor shot with the new camera. Again please note the description carefully; the day was overcast. I've pushed the processing to highlight banding and picked what I thought was the worst area.

Finally, a crop from the same view taken with the old camera but (as I mentioned above) on a sunny day. Theoretically we might expect lower noise as a result, but maybe banding is worse with bright light... Who knows. Anyway, the worst noise area was:

...and again I'd say this was markedly worse.

In terms of colour performance at ISO 800, the new camera seems no better than the old, but tends towards magenta patching in marginal areas. The other one showed much more green - but I need to do more test shots to be sure of that. In any case, as with the old unit, blue disappears very quickly, green disappears shortly afterwards, yellow/orange/brown/red tends to stick around as the ISO value goes up.

At ISO 1600 and above, the detail has turned to mush but general random noise seems to swamp any traces of banding, which is probably a good thing.

Conclusion: Amazingly/depressingly, the new camera performs quite a lot better than the old at high ISO with respect to banding and its colour shift characteristics differ. That doesn't say much about manufacturing consistency, but if you do seem to get lots of banding from you camera - "lots" unfortunately being very subjective - you could try swapping it until you get a good one!

Sigma DP2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow