Comparisons between the Oly 45mm and 75mm - Apologies...

Started Aug 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,626Gear list
Like?
Comparisons between the Oly 45mm and 75mm - Apologies...
Aug 21, 2012

So I should start by saying that I don’t hate the Olympus 45mm lens. Far from it. It is a great lens, especially at the price. It can produce astounding results like this picture (OK, not astounding, but I liked it):

However, it can also produce shots which are good but not great (no examples this time, I fear someone will point out user error). I’ve been raving about how good the Oly 75mm is since it turned up so I decided to try a quick and dirty comparison. First, the Oly 45mm:

A nice shot, I like it, another one for comparison:

What's to complain about with these two? They look pretty decent to me. Now let’s try the 75mm:

Not much difference, right? Wrong. If you open up the examples and look at the 75 check out the detail (look at the face and the hair) and the bokeh on the 75mm shot. Another example from the 75mm:

Finally one to show that while the 75mm is a great lens, it is a long focal length. This one really would have been framed better if I had used the 45mm to be frank:

Full size pictures here on my blog: http://wp.me/p2wMAg-8T

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow