Started Aug 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Bretzky
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
Thoughts on OM-D as upgrade to E-620
Aug 21, 2012

I recently decided to "upgrade" my E-620 to the OM-D. I've been fairly happy with the E-620, but found myself generally grabbing my Canon s95 when going out and about. Not only does the OM-D provide a smaller package (with respect to lenses at least), it also provides better sensor technology (IQ), better IBIS (this is very noticeable) and weatherproofing (which I could have lived without, but certainly nice to have). After having it for about a week, I'm generally happy with it (the IBIS is incredible). However, there are a few annoyances that I thought I would share for those having similar thoughts.

• Form factor . I don't understand why the OM-D wasn't formed to include the amount of grip that the HLD-6 adds (which I have now also purchased). Does anyone actually prefer holding on to the tiny body without grip? After all, a useable grip doesn't really add anything to the size of the camera; in fact, it would not even extend beyond the size of a pancake lens.

• Lack of on board flash . While Olympus was kind enough to include the clip-on flash, because it's so crappy, they should have just built one in. There would seem to be plenty of room in front of the hump to add the depth of a swing up flash unit--see the picture above. I don't understand why Olympus and another of other manufacturers forgo the flash to save a tiny bit of weight/size.

• Buttons . This has been talked about a lot before, but the OM-D buttons really do suck. Especially when compared to what we have with the E-620. They are tiny, spongy and there's less of them. I definitely miss the feel, placement and backlighting of the E-620 buttons.

• White Balance . I'm still trying to figure this one out, but the default white balance seems wacky to me. The photos come out really warm yellow (especially indoors). I'm still monkeying with the WB settings, but have ended up pulling down the Amber by 5 clicks and the Green by 1 for now.

I've come to really appreciate what Olympus did with the E-620. That being said, for those wanting an updated E-620 (Trevor Carpenter comes to mind), the OM-D can serve that purpose. The 14-54mkII works pretty well on the OM-D, and as you can see from the image below, it looks and feels almost the same (if you use the grip) and you get the benefit of all the new smaller lenses that will come out (such as the 12-50mm) which dramatically reduces the size of the package. If I want a truly small package for the day, taking the OM-D with the PL 25mm 1.4 is a great option.

Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus E-620
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow