NEX7 for Action Sports Videos (example)

Started Aug 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
rdouthit
Forum MemberPosts: 67Gear list
Like?
Re: NEX7 for Action Sports Videos (example)
In reply to AdrianGray, Aug 21, 2012

AdrianGray wrote:

Looks great. What settings / Creative Style were you using?

I'm still getting used to the camera so I'm not really messing too much with the styles. However, for this shoot I used the stock "cloudy day" white balance (which worked quite well on this day), and the Neutral creative style (default levels).

I literally didn't touch a lick of color in the edit. I had a deadline of Sunday night to get it posted and didn't think it really needed much, anyhow. The picture out of the NEX7 is just so nice to begin with. Given the time I would have probably bumped saturation up just a bit. But for this one it was really fine as it was.

When shooting cars like this, I rely on manual focus (even when using my NX5U), due to dust and motion causing issues with all auto focus systems. At first I tried to use the kit lens on the NEX 7, but hated it very quickly. It has a horrible feel in-hand so that went right back in the bag (one shot from than lens did make it into the cut, the yellow BAJA was captured with the kit lens...) For both the Canon FD 135 f3.5 and the Konica 40 1.8 I mostly shot around f4-8, but I didn't always look. I really enjoyed shooting with the Canon FD. A really great feel, but 135 has it's limitations. (And that's why I have a 28mm Canon FD on order.)

For stabilization I used an old Canon monopod I had kicking around. By the end of the day, I stopped putting it on the ground and, instead, folded it under my arm. There, it balanced quite nicely. That is how I shot the interviews. Speaking of the interviews, I was too aggressive with the Konica lens and ended up with only about an inch of depth... so, if you watch the video in full 1080 you can see that the guy's eyes aren't quite in focus (so much for relying on peaking with a razor-thin margin of error.)

The Alpha mic accessory was set to 90-degrees and still allowed more ambient sound than I would have liked... but it certainly was okay in a pinch.

rdouthit's gear list:rdouthit's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha 7S Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow