Started Aug 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Heie2
Regular MemberPosts: 484Gear list
Like?
Making the Most of Long Exposure Handhelds
Aug 21, 2012

I originally posted this as a "for the hell of it" post (I was motivated lol) about 6 months ago, and then decided to use it to enter into an article competition (after beefing it up significantly and adding another entire chapter), and it ended up winning first place.

After reading a post a couple days ago where someone was asking for breathing techniques during shooting, I decided that I should post it again since it is probably buried under thousands of posts. And besides, it's a much more polished product now anyway

The intent behind this was to create a general purpose instructional article that applied to everyone, and I think that if you read it, you will come away with at least one or two things, regardless of your experience.

In this attempt to understand concepts second nature to all veterans of a militarized basic training, we explore the four fundamentals of marksmanship and how they apply to improving one's photographic technique.

Recently, a member over in the DPReview Pentax SLR Forum was expressing his frustration with vibration control. That's when it occurred to me: there are no tutorials out there that really give an in-depth explanation as to how to improve your photography technique for those inevitably blurry long-exposures. I'm not saying said member has terrible technique, but there really isn't anything out there to address it, especially for us newbies that are just starting.

Allow me to offer a military approach to camera shooting that I can attribute only to extensive marksmanship training.

...if you are like me and never touched a weapon until your adult life by way of raising your right hand, your Drill Sergeants provided that intimate, patient instruction and guidance that makes you think of warm country evenings at home with grandma: Steady Position, Breathing Control, Aiming and Sight Picture, and Trigger (Shutter) Squeeze.

Now let's break it down...

The article can be found here:
pentaxforums.com/reviews/long-exposure-handhelds/introduction.html

(You will have to copy and paste that into your address bar).

I hope this helps.

-Heie
--
Need weather sealing you can trust?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo61t5fH6Qw&feature=player_embedded

Take a look at my deployment to Afghanistan:

pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/191788-update-number-ten-my-afghan-deployment.html

Heie2's gear list:Heie2's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow