Canon's DPP vs. Lightroom 4

Started Aug 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon's DPP vs. Lightroom 4
In reply to ali20, Aug 21, 2012

ali20 wrote:

I have a 5D3. I use Canon's DPP to make minor changes to my raw photos. Forgive my lack of knowledge. I have never used Lightroom or Photoshop. My question is, what would I gain if I buy Lightroom 4? What is the advantage of Lightroom 4 vs. Canon's DPP?

Lightroom has a very long list of advantages over DPP. I think you should download the demo from Adobe and check it out for yourself.

The only alteration I would do to my raw pictures is modifying white balance, brightness or switching to black & white. That is all.

It is hard to imagine limiting oneself to only the 3 tools that you mentioned. If that is all you will ever do, then maybe both these applications are overkill for you. WB and brightness are simple adjustments in both apps, but Lightroom will give you more control over B&W conversion than DPP.

Give me one or two good reasons why I would benefit from using Lightroom 4.

One good reason is you might open up to more post processing options than just WB and Brightness. Explore the possibilities.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Leica X2 Fujifilm X100S Leica M8 Leica M9 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +32 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow