Started Aug 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,099
Like?
Mistake - rented a d800
Aug 21, 2012

I have owned a d3s for the last couple years, beautiful camera. I decided to rent a d800 for a week just to see some results compared to the d3s. I just got the d800 today and af fine tuned it to my Nikon 500mm f4.0 vrII + tc1.4EII. Wound up with adjusting the af fine tune to +15, acually the same as my d3s is adjusted to.

First thing I noticed is the small size and weight compared to my d3s tank. I would be interest if anyone has had the d800 in the rain or showers and also if someone has backpacked or used the d800 in rugged country?

The files are big, computer editing is slower than of the the d3s files. I shoot raw 12 bit, compressed looseless files.

I am surprised that the d800 really responds to editing, bringing up the shadows and sharpening and editing some of the noise out. The d800 produces excellant images at high iso (3200 so far) and look as good as the d3s.

The 4 frames per second would take getting used to since the d3s can produce 9 frames per second. For most photography that I do the d800 is adequate.

Heres one image I shot in my back yard of a Scrub Jay and I will be out on Thursday shooting bif so can get a better idea if the speed and tracking of the d800 suits me.

Mainly worried about the speed and durability of the d800, images are excellant. I will make a decision this week on if I am going to let the d3s go and purchase the d800. I am tired of waiting for a d400 for my bif photography to give me more pixels on my bird subjects.

I do shoot a lot of landscape too, so the d800 should be good.

Larry

Nikon D3S Nikon D40 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow