two different cameras on auto. why select different ISOs

Started Aug 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
fare
Regular MemberPosts: 101Gear list
Like?
Re: reply to Johnfrim Glenn EinsteinsGhost
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, Aug 21, 2012

Thanks. I am certain that you guys have pointed the way to the answer. It is fascinating/frustrating the different ways that the cameras interpret the exposure in the manual setting.

DRO is off.

I did some reading on the different flash metering systems: the ADI and the i-ttl used by the Nikon.

The Sony flashes the flash on the subject, collects the light (fairly bright), and sets the ISO ( it would seem) producing a lower ISO because it measures the light of the flash on the subject. Perhaps, this is the designers idea of what a point and shoot picture taker might be looking for when in AUTO mode.

A darker more realistic (true to the scene as it is) would have to be achieved in a one of the more manual modes. (remember i am a novice taking a shot at new information being absorbed).

However, the Nikon takes a different route even in AUTO mode. The camera bounces a light from the AF assist illuminator beside the flash (much dimmer) which measures the ambient light around the subject, then sets the ISO (without the intensity of a preflash) and produces an exposure that is closer to the scene you see with your eye. Now, if I wanted to brighten the picture (exact opposite of the a65, I would have to use a manual mode.)

AFter I wrote the above, I had an idea. I placed both cameras in manual mode and forced the Sony to shoot at the Nikons ISO and the Nikon at the lower ISO of the Sony with the same aperture and f stop as in AUTO mode. I thought they would duplicat each other.

but, it did not work out that way. The Nikon d5100 still gave an exposure that was closer to the actual scene. The Sony still brightened it up. Both are nice shots, but I am inclined to like the realistic interpretation of the scene for real photographic work.

What do you guys think. See if you can do the same. I know some of you have different brands around so you can force the same exposure and see if they come out the same. I even have an older Nikon P100 bridge camera. It exposed the scene like the Sony which is interesting because I really think the whole camera is a Sony machine with sony sensor, EVF, similar button layout....just Nikon name.

I don't pretend to yet understand the different metering modes, but they do measure the light differently and then select the exposure settings. Or is one camera not functioning properly. Should the same setting from different cameras produce similar results?????/

fare's gear list:fare's gear list
Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow