Underwater housing for RX100

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
neonexxer
Regular MemberPosts: 131Gear list
Like?
Re: Underwater housing for RX100
In reply to OS74, Aug 20, 2012

OS74 wrote:

I'm looking to use this camera in my cold & dark home-waters, so I'll be diving it with dry-gloves most of the time. Therefore the important of decent ergonomics also with gloves.

Half press trigger sounds like an excellent thing, (if Nauticam supports that too.)

The Recsea's half press trigger is fantastic and would probably work well even if you had to actuate it with your big toe Good travel and lots of feel. I love it. I'm sure the thickest gloves would be of no hinderence here.

Also the knobs like the front ring should be decent, and that's where my impression from the product photos made me think that Recsea's large front-ring would be great. the rear dial is of course an issue. How well is the Nauticam front knob operated on comparable housings?

Yes indeed, the Recsea's humongous front ring is great for gloved hands. The freeplay on it makes it feel a little clunky at times, and you can feel the gears in the mechanism, but it works. Accurately, too - I had no problems nailing manual focus with it.

The rear dial, I think, might be a problem. Even with my bare fingers, it was VERY easy to misoperate it. The center button and the other 4 surrounding it are fine, but the rocker/d-pad action cuts in far too easily when turning this dial, so I find I have to be very careful using it. If I try using my right thumb to turn it, I inevitably end up pushing it far enough for it to turn into a rocker motion.

Even when I'm diving with a dual strobe set-up, I tend to only hold the left handle with left hand and hold/operate the camera with my right hand (not the handle) so the controls should allow for this.

Any other comments on ergonomics with gloves?

Can't speak for the Nauticam RX100, I only have my Recsea (and I haven't dived with it yet - just pool tests). Perhaps Surya P can chime in when he's secured his housing?

neonexxer's gear list:neonexxer's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-2 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A37 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow