Olympus 12-50mm vs Voigtlander 25mm at 25mm

Started Aug 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,894
Like?
It's always better to see ...
In reply to Joe Ogiba, Aug 20, 2012

... controlled measurements than random shots with random settings.

One thing to remember is that MFT50 doesn't tell the whole story. I've had lenses with excellent resolution that I sold because I didn't like the results. The images posted on these forums are often just 1MPx or smaller, it's easy to calculate that the output requires less than 38 l/mm. Only very bad lenses aren't capable of reproducing that - I didn't have any problem finding manual lenses both primes and zooms with at least 60 l/mm at the center. Still many images don't look good. They usually look sharpened instead of looking sharp - a sharp lens gives subtle contrasty details, oversharpened picture looks crude without details.

Apart from resolution other important characteristics often overlooked: smooth bokeh; high contrast; low aberrations; low CA -- correction in software makes an image softer and processed. And since m4/3 has a half-frame sensor it requires much better performance from the lenses than FF sensor. So if you want a good quality and cheaper lenses, look at larger sensor formats.

Joe Ogiba wrote:

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 12-50 mm f/3.5-6.3 ED EZ
Image resolution :

Let’s check the situation on the edge of the frame.

Voigtlander Nokton 25 mm f/0.95
Image resolution :

Canon EF 50 mm f/1.2L USM
Image resolution :

Canon EF 24 mm f/1.4L II USM
Image resolution :

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow