Started Aug 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,650Gear list
Like?
What will it take for you to buy a GH3?
Aug 20, 2012

So what will the GH3 need to have for you to consider upgrading? Here is my list.

1. 1080p @ 60 FPS. It will have this because the G5 already has this.

2. Level Guage so that it will automatically rotate portrait pictures with lenses that don't have IS.

3. Auto ISO that can either be set with a maximum of ISO 6400 or completely customizable to set upper and lower shutter speed limits.

4. Burst mode for RAW images of 10 FPS or greater. 10 or more images in a row.

5. HDR(High Dynamic Range) mode. I really like this mode on the G5 for when I want to shoot a scene with high dynamic range and where I want to upload it immediately via an eye-fi card.

6. Better Eye-Fi support. The GH2 cannot use the selective uplaod mode to upload the AVC-HD videos. I assume that is what the MP4 mode is for.

7. Better ISO performance. However, I don't think that the GH2 is really that far behind the OMD. If they give the GH3 1 stop improvement over the GH2 then I would consider it to be equal to the OMD. The GH2 has a 1 stop improvement over its predecessors so it sounds reasonable to think the GH3 will too.

Please note that I didn't include 720p @ 120 FPS on my list even though I shoot a lot of slow motion.

I shoot indoor slow motion with Fluorescent lights that produce a strobing effect at shutter speeds faster than 1/120th of a second because of the rolling shutter. If you shoot slow motion under natural lighting then 120 FPS could be very useful to you.

Here is an example of what the indoor slow motion looks like. This was shot with the 25mm F1.4 and 720p @ 60 FPS with 1/120th shutter speed. It is simple slowed down video without any use of an interpolating program like twixtor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3utsO8NCjT4

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow