Going to Italy...24-85VR or 24-70 2.8 or 28-300 VR?

Started Aug 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ml16
Forum MemberPosts: 54
Like?
Going to Italy...24-85VR or 24-70 2.8 or 28-300 VR?
Aug 20, 2012

Sorry for yet another "Going to..." but I am having a difficult deciding which lens to buy. I recently moved up to FF and only have 2 lenses (both primes - 50 1.8G and the 85 1.8G). I am travelling to Paris and Italy (Venice, Florence and Rome) on a 12 day holiday. I am trying to decide between 3 lenses:

24-70 2.8 - One of the dream lenses for me, but on the pricey side. The 2.8 will definitely be a plus with all of the churches and museums we'll be going to. I've also read that the size/weight of the lens may be an issue (not too worried about this aspect but it is something to think about). I, admittedly, do not have the best shooting technique (practicing and getting better, but still not there) so non-VR may be an issue for me at slower shutter speeds.

24-85 VR - Upside to this lens is the price and VR. VR is a big plus for me (see above comment) Question is, will I miss the 2.8 enough that I will suffer greatly in low light?

28-300 - Upside is a huge range of focal lengths and VR. Seems to be the equivalent to my old 18-200 (when I was on DX) which was pretty good at everything but not stellar. How much worse is this lens vs the 24-85? I suspect that I wouldn't really need a very long focal length given I will be in cities mostly and inside churches and museums, but this the bang for the buck lens. Will I miss the 24mm short end vs 28?

Thanks.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow