Noise: Canon S100 vs Sony RX100

Started Aug 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,913Gear list
Like?
Re: Noise: Canon S100 vs Sony RX100
In reply to danny006, Aug 20, 2012

danny006 wrote:

The noise figures from popphoto are ridiculous. Like Troy has shown, it is the same as a Nikon V1 (but RX100 is sharper), and not worse than a Canon S100.

I agree with danny006. PopPhoto is one of the worst sources for test results.

And for those who are waiting on a test from the RX100 on DxOMark, that figures are also not 100%. A D800 performs much better than a 5D Mark III according to DxOMark, but when I look at the pictures I see the Canon has much better IQ and less noise.

Most people who dismiss DXO test results, do so because they don't know how to read the DXO data. If you click on the SNR 18% tab, then click on the "screen" button, DXO clearly indicates the 5D has the advantage when viewing noise in 100% crops. So DXO results match what you see with your eyes.

Trust your own eyes instead of figures and numbers. Just download pictures from dpreview and imaging-resource, open them in photoshop and compare. Take JPEG pictures too and not only RAW, some manufacturers have a better JPEG engine and it is worth comparing those too.

You can trust the figures if you know how to read them. You can trust the images if you know how to equalize them. Trusting your eyes would be better than trusting most of the ramblings in these forums. Dimitri is so drunk on Canon kool-aide that his advise is completely worthless.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Leica X2 Fujifilm X100S Leica M8 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 70D +29 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow