Started Aug 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John Roy
Contributing MemberPosts: 537
Like?
D800E & 300mm f4 AF-S
Aug 20, 2012

I have been very pleased with the 300mm F4 AF-S lens used with the 1.4 converter; on my D700 this combination has been razor sharp, as has been the 70-200 f2.8 VR 1 zoom & the same teleconverter.

The 70-200 & the 1.4 TC work just fine with my D800E, no complaints. But the 300mm & 1.4 were uninspiring. The D700 produced sharper results.

This was taken at ISO400, f5.6 (full open with TC) and 1/1000sec, using a monopod. Lighting was not friendly - dull & overcast looking into what there was of the sun.

The combination with the D700 would have been sharper.

Next step was to get out Lensalign and check out the two lenses. The 70-200 seemed bang-on but the 300mm looked like it was back-focussing:

Looks like the prime focus is on the rearward 8. I have two problems:

1. Lensalign says the minimum focus distance for the 300mm is 7.5 meters; which I couldn't manage inside. I set it to 5m; but even if I'd managed the 7.5m, how would this translate into daily use where the operating distance is more like 50-150m?

2. Even at 5m the lensalign target is so small in the field of view that when I zoom in on the ruler the assessment of focus is hampered by pixellation, even with the D800E.

Is it OK to go in close to fill the field of view with the target? And catch-22, if I do it makes my worries about point 1 all the worse.

So I'm inclined to fine tune the 300mm autofocus, but thought I'd pump the brains of you good people first. Thank you for any help.

Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow