RX100 far field decentering at longer focal lengths?

Started Aug 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jonathan Usher
Regular MemberPosts: 112
Like?
RX100 far field decentering at longer focal lengths?
Aug 20, 2012

Hi all. I wanted to ask other RX100 owners if you have noticed any softness - particularly approaching the top right corner of the frame (starting say 1000 pixels from the corner) - when using longer focal lengths (80-100 mm equivalent) on your RX100s when shooting distant subjects.

I'm asking this because I noticed significant decentering in my first RX100 camera (even at f/8, though the problem was much worse at f/4.9 and f/5.6) with objects at distances greater than say 200 meters or so, at longer focal lengths (80-100 mm equivalent).

I swapped to a second copy of the RX100 and bizarrely the same issue is there, to approximately the same degree, and in the same place on the frame (ie top right quarter of the frame).

Since then I have looked over a bunch of online reviews of the camera, but haven't managed to find any shots taken by reviewers that were at the telephoto end and of distant object with detail across the frame so I could see if their copies also had this issue. I was surprised not to find any such full-size images as I'd think they would be important for reviews, but I'll keep looking!

So I thought I'd ask the DPreview community - is this something others have noticed, or have I just had the bad luck of getting two bodies with the same defect in the same conditions/place?

Here's an image to show you what I mean. Look at the distant hills, going from left to right... (note - you will need to see the full size image which is in my gallery; the smaller views won't show the issue. I'm not sure if I've embedded this correctly - please let me know if there is another/better way to make the full size image available:)

Thanks for any advice or thoughts!

Jonathan

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow