Is The Sony RX100 Selling Primarily To Amateurs?

Started Aug 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 16,889Gear list
Like?
Re: Is The Sony RX100 Selling Primarily To Amateurs?
In reply to john10001, Aug 19, 2012

john10001 wrote:

I think you may have a point here. Perhaps Sony are aiming their product at non-technical audiences. They may be marketing to middle-class/upper middle class in employment with the RX100 and not to enthusiasts and pro's looking for something more pocketable to complement their dSLR.

Actually I think that's exactly who they are marketing too. Anecdotal evidence on these forums seems to indicate that a lot of DSLR- ICL Mirrorless enthusiasts are buying this camera and posting about it. It's the first Sony camera in some time to be at the top of Amazon's popularity list. For me, a long time SLR, DSLR and Sony SLT user and an enthusiast, this is the first camera of this size that is actually good enough for me to buy. I ordered one two days ago.

Price is a killer though and that could also be a factor. If global economy doesn't pick up and exchange rates to the Yen get better overall numbers may not be that great especially if you then have competitors with competing products offering something similar but a lot better value for money come along.

Nobody else is offering a product that can compare or compete directly with the RX100. They are either larger or of lesser quality.

Born in the United Kingdom of Great Britain. I reject EU citizenship.

I like your attitude!

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A65 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow