First star trail attempt with 1Ds mkIII

Started Aug 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
Alekhine
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?
Re: First star trail attempt with 1Ds mkIII
In reply to D Sharp, Aug 19, 2012

D Sharp wrote:

I do a few startrails with a 1Ds2. I think your picture is great, hard to believe it is a 1st attempt. Nice foreground interest. It may be just a bit overexposed.

Warning, startrails can become addictive, and don't listen to the nay sayers who insist you can only do them in real dark sky areas. you can get pretty good startrails from inner city locations.

Yeah right, I think the same! I'll try one as soon as I find a good place...

yes that was my very first attempt at startrails and yes I know it can be addictive.

I'm already starting to think to astrophotography... have to find what I need for that, but will my 1Ds3 or 1D4 be good for astrophotography? I guess not?

The gaps are not caused by the 1 second delay between shots (at wide angle it takes 15-20 seconds before star movement is visible). The gap is caused by the lighten blend mode. They are also made worse by over use of clarity when opening the RAW. I have tried various techniques to reduce the gaps, but I have never found one that works and just accept the gaps

I had a suspect that the gaps where software-side, I have to write one myself, it's pretty easy, but then no, I can only write software for PC and I have a Mac.
Thanks for your inputs!

Regards

David Sharp

http://www.pbase.com/dasharp/startrails

-- hide signature --

Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
Oscar Wilde

http://www.guidotramontano.com

Alekhine's gear list:Alekhine's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow