P7100 - Dynamic Range & ADL

Started Aug 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
edu T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,102Gear list
Like?
Re: ADL and U3 on a P7100
In reply to phred14, Aug 19, 2012

phred14 wrote:

I was under the impression that ADL was something done during/before jpeg processing. But these pictures were shot with "RAW + ADL L". I always thought RAW was RAW, even less than simple pixel storage, since demosaicing is part of reading RAW.
Can someone explain further?

ADL does not change the data "as seen by the sensor" on a RAW file, so in this sense they remain uncooked indeed. Rather, a cooking recipe or a set of "developing" instructions gets embedded into the file.

A Nikon RAW converter (ViewNX 2, Capture NX 2) will apply those instructions automatically in the process, whereas a converter such as LR/ACR will be oblivious to them and you'll have to adjust tones manually or by means of presets/profiles.

One place where this is discussed is this thread on the official ACR forum, "How ACR works with in-camera controls and Nikon D-lighting" -- http://forums.adobe.com/message/4128914 .

By the way, I like the Apical link also, which makes me think it should be something available under RAW processing. To be honest, I haven't actually looked for it on Darktable, but never knew before this to look for "Apical".

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow