Dramatic Fish-Eye: Trial Bike World Cup Antwerp [E-M5 PICS]

Started Aug 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 21,929
Like?
I'll try to answer your questions.
In reply to Steven Wandy, Aug 19, 2012

Steven Wandy wrote:

Weren't you afraid of the guy falling on you??? I mean the post he was balancing on was not very large after all.

Well: no guts, no glory...

Actually with this guy I did not fear him falling onto me. His command of himself and his bike were extraordinary. One of the guys I shot was Hanness Herrmann, who is one of the best trial bike riders of the world. It is more dangerous with amateurs, and yes, I have had case where it has been a close call. But I try to stay on my feet and pay attention in order to be able to duck or roll away when needed. You really have to get low to get the most interesting perspectives.

Anyway - I always loved the original Dramatic Tone filter and I think I like the B&W version even more. And your choice of subject and lighting just illustrates how good it can be.

Thanks.

One question - did you crop or de-fish these images because at least to my eyes they don't have that real "fishy" look to them.

I never use de-fishing software, but I do crop. In fact all of these were cropped from 4:3 to 1:1. In my experience with fisheye (and trust me, by now I have a lot of experience with that great lens), cropping away 1/4 of the frame (top, bottom, left, right or a bit of both) goes a long way to getting rid of the most obvious distortions.

In the same gallery I have a few shots that have remained 4:3 and if you take a look you will see that they look a lot more fishy.

Great set,
Steve

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx

lots of images : http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow