Frustrated with this Forum's Photographic Examples

Started Aug 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
primeshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,409
Like?
+1 and you know what...
In reply to tashley, Aug 19, 2012

tashley wrote:

I totally agree - there are some carefully moderated forums out there where nothing ever happens. 1x.com where on the Landscape forum, the first page has a thread over a year old. There are other very moderated places i could mention where the traffic is slow.

It depends on whether you want a drink in the posh hotel lobby with a white-gloved doorman, or whether you want to chance the pub down by the docks...

moving_comfort wrote:

Biological_Viewfinder wrote:

In less than 2 months, this place would be so calm you could skip a rock across it and it would just go and go and go. The waves would be gone. People would start being nicer to one another.

In less than two months, the hits on and usage levels of these forums would be so low that dpreview would consider closing them down altogether.

These forums harbor bad elements, but 'cleaning them up' to meet your requirements would result in their dusty death.

You would have a hard time making a business case for the type of forum you envision. The forum mirrors the DSLR marketplace - probably something like 40% amateurs, 50% enthusiasts, 10% pros of some sort. Take away the amateurs and enthusiasts, or curtail their activity into compartments you find acceptable, and the forum would basically collapse.

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

-- hide signature --

Gallery & Blog : http://www.timashley.com

+1 to both of you, well said. I hate moderation on forums anyway, most of the time it's too heavy handed. Hell, about 2 weeks ago I had some idiot on here calling me a racist because I quoted a song called "Turning Japanese" by using a thread titled "I think I'm turning japanese" - a play on words about how I cannot stop using the D800 to photograph my son. This song was written in the 80s by the Vapors and was about the writers obsession with taking pictures of his girlfriend referencing the japanese as they are so into their photography etc.

He actually said something like he would not stand by and watch a race be ridiculed. At that point I removed my images in case any "problems" occurred but I am glad to see the people that own this site saw him for the idiot that he was. I will not upload stuff here anytime soon methinks. The harshest critics on here always have the worst shots in their galleries and sometimes it's a test shot of a flippin' brick wall! You cannot moderate taste...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yupNew
JokeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow