Frustrated with this Forum's Photographic Examples

Started Aug 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Paul B Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141Gear list
Like?
Re: Frustrated with this Forum's Photographic Examples
In reply to Biological_Viewfinder, Aug 19, 2012

OP raises an interesting point, one I've thought about as well - what is the value of the example images people post in these forums to demonstrate the capabilities of particular equipment?

Setting aside the technical/graph captures (which are great if you can understand them) most posted images fall into two categories.

First, there are the mediocre photos that people like me (earnest amateurs) post that are not super helpful in demonstrating a particular point and maybe are even a bit embarrassing. But they don't cause any harm so it is possible to just ignore them or maybe offer some delicate suggestions for improvement.

Second, there are amazing photos posted by incredible photographers. These images are again not super helpful in proving the capabilities of particular gear because the reason they are great pictures is mostly because of the skill and experience of the photographer, not because of the equipment used.

So, with these limitations in mind I'll keep posting the occasional picture and looking with respect at the images others put up.

-- hide signature --
 Paul B Jones's gear list:Paul B Jones's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 400mm f/4.0 DO IS USM Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yupNew
JokeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow