Started Aug 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Phil_L
Senior MemberPosts: 2,848
Like?
Match Racing - Sailing
Aug 19, 2012

Ladies match racing is an annual event at Lysekil on the west coast of Sweden.

I got to see and take pictures of some of the preliminary "Round Robin" races.

Each race has only two contestants and the idea is to use guile and the racing rules to keep your boat between your competitor and the next mark.

This entails a different mind set to normal racing and may result in the two boats sparring for a long period before crossing the start line after the start signal or shunting the competitor off on an unfavorable tack, anyway... meet the competitors for the first afternoon race:

and

Meeting on the first windward leg on different tacks trying to lay up the rounding mark:

The boat on starbord tack (wind in from the right) has right of way:

and forces the other boat to tack away from the layline up to the rounding mark while tacking towards the layline themselves:

The yellow boat tacks up to the layline again but has to leave the other boat upwind and closer to the rounding mark:

and they race or the mark:

The white hulled boat rounds the windward mark with a good lead:

and they set spinnaker for the run downwind:

They went on to win that round.

All shots were backlit!
D300 with 200-400 f4 shot wide open.
I could have stopped down a full stop with no problems with ss.

I gooferd the focus on a couple and the framing on one but they are included to tell the "story".

Note the red granite rock which is characteristic of the area.
I took the pictures fro a small skerry with a bridge over from the mainland.

The skerry provided a natural grandstand for the racing arena which isn't available on most racing courses.

Hope you enjoyed!
--
Phil_L

Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow