Started Aug 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Birddogman
Contributing MemberPosts: 957Gear list
Like?
X-Pro 1 does early settler's cabins
Aug 19, 2012

One of the things I enjoy doing when running my dogs out on the family farms and nearby is trying to capture some of the very earliest settler's houses from the time when this area was being carved out of wilderness - say 1730-1760. There are quite a few around if you look for them. Some are restored with modern conveniences, most are not.

Generally, they served as dwellings until the family could build a real house. Sometimes they were incorporated into the main house, but generally not. Many were built over a spring, so they had a water source and a way to keep things cool. Some of the early ones had fort-like features as the local Indians would sometimes attack the isolated homesteads, especially during the French and Indian War which was taking place during the time some these places were being built. Given the large families of those days, they must have been crowded places full of life. I find that period of history fascinating.

Here come the pics. Let's start with my own ancestral settler's house on the family farm. Even though it was built by people of German ethnicity, it has the end gable fireplace. It is not restored and still in pretty much the same condition it was back in the day. Here's a view on a rainy summer day:

The interior looks like this. The original irons are still in the walk-in fireplace.

This is a very early log house built in the three-room center-chimney design used by the early Germanic immigrants. In front of the fireplace was the Stube (living room). Behind it on one side was the Kuche (kitchen) and Kammer (communal bedroom). The Kammer had a tiny Sellenfenster (soul window), so that the souls of the people who died in that room could escape the house. The stone building is a later summer kitchen.

Another early log house - this one fully restored. It has the more common gable end fireplace. Note the tiny window by the front door that was probably a firing loop:

This particular area in the mountains by where I live eventually became the home of iron furnaces. You can see the red, iron-rich stone that was used to built this cabin:

This one (seen from the back in front of the main house) again shows the Germanic center-chimney design:

Front view of the same place:

A stone cabin built over a fast flowing, cold spring adjacent to the family farm - this one circa 1760. Note the huge main house built on the other side of the cabin. The taller door on the lower level is a later modification.

This is a typical spring room, where the water ran in a trough and food was stored by putting it in the water in pottery containers. Barrels of apples, potatoes, etc, were also kept in that room.

This one was modernized into an elaborate garden house:

The right side of this house was the original settler's cabin, built over a spring. It was incorporated into a larger house in the 1760's. Abraham Lincoln's great great grandfather built the original cabin in 1733.

Here, the left side was the original cabin and the right side a later addition. Daniel Boone was born here.

The XP-1 makes a perfect rig for this type of photography. Easy to carry with easy manual settings and good IQ. C&C welcomed.

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow