Started Aug 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cclr
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
Error message 01 with T4i and Tamron 17-50 VC -- also posted in Lens Forum
Aug 19, 2012

I just responded to a post on the Photography on the Net forum @ http://photography-on-the.net/...forum/showthread.php?p=14877017#post14877017 and am also posting the same here and in the Canon Lens Forum for suggestions on how to best resolve the issue (the post I responded to follows my post below):

I also recently got the T4i, and used my older 85 f/1.8 (2007) on it for indoor basketball, without issue, however, my new Tamron 17-50 VC paired on the body gives me this same Error message (01).

Researching the issue leaves me unclear so far whether the problem is with the Tamron lens (aperture assembly/diaphragm issue) or the T4i; before I saw your post, I thought it more likely the Tamron is causing this intermittent (annoying) problem rather than the T4i -- I'm still within the 30-day return window for both, but aside from this troubling issue, performance of the Tamron 17-50 VC and T4i are excellent.

I get the Error message with the T4i/Tamron 17-50 VC combination mostly indoors in low light, f/2.8, shutter speed set at 1/640 sec. I once got the Error shooting outdoors, again in low light, during the evening.

Canon recently acknowledged an error with its new 40mm pancake lens that requires the same "fix" of either removing the battery and reinserting it, or detaching the lens and reattaching, both of which get it working until it happens again, and states that "firmware to address this phenomenon [40mm autofocusing function stops working when pressure is applied to the front of the lens] will be available for download in late August, 2012."
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/suppor...01e02480602860

I'd like to know if this upcoming firmware download addressed to the 40mm f/2.8 STM lens issue may be applied to the T4i to improve lens communications in general. Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadenza View Post
Hi, everybody.

I just got my spanking new T4i with the 18-135 STM, the toys are pretty cool.

However, when I put my old EF 85 f1.8 on it, it takes the picture fine, but then displays an error message saying that the contacts need to be cleaned. I've cleaned the contacts thoroughly, but it still gives me the warning after every photo. It doesn't seem to affect the picture taking itself, but of course, the Error message is annoying, and you have to turn off the camera and turn it back on to make it go away. Anybody know what's going on, or does it need any kind of firmware fix?

TIA
--
Thank you.
--
photo sampling @ http://www.flickriver.com/photos/sbmgar/popular-interesting/

Canon EOS 650D (EOS Rebel T4i / EOS Kiss X6i)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow