Canon's new 61 pt AF system (1DX, 5D3) smokes Nikon

Started Aug 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
CaryTheLabelGuy
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?
Re: No it's not HUGE EOSHQ
In reply to david01234, Aug 19, 2012

It is my job to test and review cameras and lenses. I have tested 4 D800s and 1 D800E as well as 2 D4s, extensively. What I have found over several months of testing is that the D800 and D4's AF system is the best Nikon PDAF system yet. They easily outperform my D3s and D3/D700 in all areas. None of the cameras had ANY issues and that includes left AF sensor problems. They track better (AF-C 3D tracking), lock focus faster, have smarter AF-Continuous Auto modes (I.e. face recognition) and can focus in low-light better than the previous generation Multi-Cam 3500FX AF modules, which lead the industry previously. The D800/D4 is deadly accurate, even in near total darkness (-2 EV), as long as you know what you're doing.

I recently sold my beloved D3s and kept the D4 to go along with our D800 and D3, that's how much better the D4/D800's AF is over the previous generation.

I don't doubt some people are having AF issues on SOME D800s, but overall, the problem is seriously over-blown at this point. To call the D800/D4's AF system crap, is very misleading and totally not true. My extensive experience with these cameras has been nothing but extremely positive. The D800 is mindblowing in all aspects and the D4 outperforms the D3s in every way and WE ALL know how good the D3s is.

I do have one complaint, though: Focus Priority flat-out doesn't work in AF-Continous Servo mode when using the AF-ON only option, which makes the focus trap technique totally unusable. This is a serious glitch in both the D800 and D4. I suspect Nikon will fix this in an upcoming firmware update. That is literally my only complaint, at least in the copies have tested.

Canon has done a great job in the AF dept in their latest releases. You Canonites deserve it as you've been dealing with a lot of AF issues over the past several years.

I wish you all the best.

CaryTheLabelGuy's gear list:CaryTheLabelGuy's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon D3S Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow