Started Aug 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Michel F
Senior MemberPosts: 1,768
Like?
Re: why do you want a macro lens ?
In reply to osk, Aug 19, 2012

osk wrote:

Michel,

Thanks for the advice, i'm having DL5100. Is tamron 90mm work well in DL5100 body? Are you recomended Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro model?

What is the compareason to Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D in term of photo quality and pricing? Which one is better in therm of value?

Yes the Tamron 90mm will work fine with your D5100. Be aware that there are 2 versions of that lens, one with a focusing motor and one without. If you want to be able to use the auto focus, you will have to buy the version with a motor since there is no focusing motor included in your D5100. If you buy the other version, you will have to use it in manual focus only. You will mostly want to do macro in manual focus but for portraits, auto focus would come in handy.

The Nikon 85mm micro is f/3.5, not f/2.8 but it's no big deal for macro. I think the price is about equal to the Tamron and most reviews are positive. It will auto focus fine with your D5100 and it has the added bonus of having VR. One other thing: I'm not 100% sure but I think the 85mm lens does not extend when focusing while the Tamron does. I personally prefer lens that do not extend.

I'm not sure why but the Tamron 90mm seems to be more popular than the Nikon 85mm. Those who have used one or the other could help you more than I can since I've never had either.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow