How good is the Panasonic 14-140mm lens?

Started Aug 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kirill_est
Regular MemberPosts: 358
Like?
Re: How good is the Panasonic 14-140mm lens?
In reply to TomFid, Aug 18, 2012

I selected my copy (GH kit) after careful testing and its results are ALMOST consistent with the online review results (graphs) on different sites. I say almost because studio tests are on short-distance targets and this lens is good for that. It is unfortunately not as good for shooting landscapes and other stuff when auto-focussing tends to go towards infinity. In such shooting situations, while quite sharp in the centre of the frame, the shapness falloff towards the egdes is very noticeable at lower apertures (prominent issue at 14mm and then from around 100mm) and then diffraction sets in with overall deterioration. As I mostly shoot landscapes/cityscapes, I have a love-hate relationship with this lens. It is a good universal travel companion, a jack of all trades, but hardly a master of any. I have had it for a couple of months and I still cannot decide whether to keep it or not. It is not poor, I would not have bought it otherwise, but it is not excellent either. One would be a fool to buy it separately, i.e. pay the full price for it. I got it with a brand new GH1 (strange but true, there are some copies still gathering dust in some shops) for 600 EUR and I consider this a fair price for the kit.

-- hide signature --

Here is my personal photo blog:
http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow