DP series tripod recommendations?

Started Aug 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,413Gear list
Like?
I still use a full size tripod...
In reply to balchinian, Aug 18, 2012

Although I agree generally you could probably get away with a smaller tripod, and for travel that would probably be great...

I still use a full-size Manfrotto tripod, which has three benefits over the lighter tripods:

1) A heavier tripod means it's more resistant to vibrations in wind or from nearby footsteps (it's amazing how even on rocky ground you can feel footsteps from even ten feet away).

2) My tripod has a center column that can swing over to the side to take close-up overhead shots. With a DSLR you always had to angle the legs to counter-balance the heavy camera, but with a DP body you can more easily make use of this arm.

3) Height - the small tripods never go up very far, sometimes you want a shot at face height or not have to bend over all the time.

One other trick to keep in mind if you have to shoot without any tripod, is that in theory using the multiple-shot drive (either light bracketing or holding down the button with drive mode enabled) means that exposures after your first one (where there is still movement from you pressing the button) can be sharper. So that's something to consider.

For hiking I'll continue to use the full size tripod, for travel I think I might switch to one of the smaller ones I have laying about.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow