Started Aug 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
kernelpanic
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
Is Fuji worth it?
Aug 18, 2012

Dont get me wrong, I love my S100FS and of all the cameras I could have bought at the time I got it, I think it was the best choice for me.

Now, the reason for this post is this: an X10 costs as much as a NEX-F3 and if one sees the studio comparisons made here in dpreview, the difference is obvious, so, does Fuji products worth their value? (at least, the X-10)

I understand products like the XS-1, costs the same as a SLR like a nikon 3200 or 5100 but has a much longer focal length than the kit lenses on each of those cameras and it would require about 250-300 USD worth of glass to close the gap on the XS-1 (not to mention match it)

My very own personal opinion is that, with the m43 offer gaining momentum, smaller sensors (smaller that 1/1.7) are going to be used on budget cameras coupled with 20x zooms and produce less than stellar pictures, but that will be ok for the typical user who wants to take a picture and that's it (and doesnt have an Iphone :p), and even the 2/3 size segment is practically defenseless against m43 except for pricing (and lens flexibility, such as the case of the XS-1)

Fuji should keep developing products like the XS-1 which are spot on (however, and increase in QC is mandatory) but if it wants to compete in the performance compact camera segment (compact = lower end nex and the like) it must offer either a truly unique product (I don't know, a compact X camera with a maximum aperture of F1, perhaps?) or decrease the cost in order to make it competetitive (again, X10 vs nexf3 = no brainer)

Also, and this is a very speculative matter, how would X-trans perform in a smaller form factor such as 2/3, a 2/3 BSI-X-Trans sensor? :$

kernelpanic's gear list:kernelpanic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs
Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-F3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow