Rocky Arbor State Park in Wisconsin

Started Aug 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Nancy and Pete Spader
Senior MemberPosts: 2,050
Like?
Re: Here's a pano.
In reply to balchinian, Aug 18, 2012

I have the same thing showing up in a pano I just took at Nay Aug Park. It is a problem, in my case, of exposure. I followed the rule of shooting all the shots for the pano using the same settings. In this case there were a good number of darker areas so I choose 1/50s, since I was using f8 to be sure I had enough DOF so everything was in focus. It was a bright day and so the area where I had small leaves and branches shows this same problem (indeed Chumsums pano is showing it in exactly the same type of situation). I know this since I took a picture of this same area using Aperture priority at f 5.6 and the camera choose 1/500s and the problem disappears.

This old rule is a good one for panos when you are using limited stitching software, but I suspect the software I am using can handle the variance of exposure if I use AE with Aperture priority. I will have to test this out, but since many scenes do vary so much there is no single setting that will handle the full range of scenes in the pano. I expect not using AF still makes good sense, however. The whole idea is to not have pictures so different they cannot be stitched, and shifting focus may still cause problems.

Pete

I

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow