Birds in Portland OR area

Started Aug 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Don Daugherty
Contributing MemberPosts: 641
Like?
Re: Yes, I know of many places....
In reply to chuck nakell, Aug 18, 2012

Definitely look at Crystal Springs. I often go in the wee hours just before sunrise. Once you get familiar with the layout of the garden you will get to know where some of the shore dwelling hunters live. You can often find them resting or just starting to hunt as the sun is coming up. Sadly 400mm (even on an APS-C body) is a little short since the shore hunters won't let you get very close before they fly off.

Have fun!

D

chuck nakell wrote:

For years my only photography was focused on avians. Besides travel, here was one of my solutions to your problem.

If you are desperate in the always-relatively-poor-birding-time of Portland's summer months, head out to Crystal Springs Gardens by Reed College. There you will find an always dependable plethora of ducks. While the ducks are a sure thing, there is often a blue heron and kingfisher along the path as well. Beautiful backdrops, great color and movement, a good holding space until October brings all the birds back.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow