Underwater housing for RX100

Started Aug 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Surya P
Junior MemberPosts: 43Gear list
Like?
Re: Underwater housing for RX100
In reply to Surya P, Aug 18, 2012

Part 3 - END

04. You said the Mode Dial slips a bit on the RecSea, u means the rotating switch at the front lens correct ? That RX100 lens rotator is handy for manual focus. That will matter a lot for macro photo where if the color of the object blends in with the background and RX100 AF system which is based on contrast focus or any contrast focus camera for that matter, will not get proper focus lock even with focus light. With RX100 either magnified MF operation or using peaking capability, that front dial is why I am so keen to bring RX100 underwater. The Nauticam's front lens dial is small, while not easy to touch it does offer gearing ratio advantage. The RX100 when using manual focus, you need to spin the lens rotator plenty to get the focus going, which is good as it can do precise focusing. What I can not confirm yet ( I don't have RX100 Nauticam yet ) and I am hoping, for front lens rotator dial on housing to be better than RecSea.

However, since the Canon S100 ( housing known as Fisheye S100 , made by Nauticam ) uses the same lens rotator system and by looks of things with the way the entire diameter of the lens rotator being cupped in a rubber, instead of what you said of RecSea using o-ring only as friction,

http://www.backscatter.com/hostedstore/templates/backscatter_wideload/product_detail_zoomimage.lasso?img=fe-fixs100-sa_7

I can say with certainty that the Nauticam RX100 front lens rotator will not slip like your RecSea. From above photo I can see Nauticam rubber cupping for the lens rotator has slight friction identation , like mini tooth gears of the RX100 lens rotator iself, and that will give more friction. Again this Nauticam design needed 1 extra gear to accomplish that lens rotating thingy and that is extra $$.

The downfall of most housings manufacturer I see today is, cost cutting on design, lacks of buttons, poor ergonomics and we loose some ease of use or functionality.

I started playing with UW imaging using Sony Hi8 camcorder back in early 90s. I am not a pro, I do imaging just for fun but I am very anal on mechanical design because I get paid to evaluate poor design vs good mechanical design in my work. My first housing, the Sony made TR series housing, the famous yellow el-cheapo housing that fits many TR series. Fortunate for video dudes, we have Sony Lanc control which does not require mechanical switches for common functions, its all sent from camera to handle assy using electrical signal, so life was good. When I got more money, I bought Amphibico ( today it is owned by Aquatica ) for my Sony TRV900, the Mini DV good old days. Then I noticed, dang, fine engineering do cost money but its worth it.

It is when I started using still camera housing I realized, what a dummy these still cameras manufacturers are. With today's technology, they can send out 1 data port like a Sony Lanc ( unlike Nikon's Camera Control Pro 2 which needed a PC to use ) to do very basic controls like focus only, fire the shutter only, shutter speed adjust, F adjust and ISO adjust, zoom in zoom out ( for some cameras ) and focus fine adjust if possible. Then manufacturer of UW housing can make our life and pocket easier ha ha ha.

So back to the mechanicals of UW housings. If you have access to a real life housing units of various brands, you are lucky. For me, since only very very few UW brands housing are available in my country and sales are so far in between, touching and studying latest UW housing units is not possible. I had to beg and borrow previous model housings owned by friends, play with it and learn each model's design philosophy and refer to BackScatter.com for a rear view of the controls and its internals. I then read Wetpixel reports because it has some details I may miss or details I can not get from downloading each brand's User Manual. Not all brands allow User Manual download.

My Nauticam D800 housing purchase decision is based on the above study method and a real life Nauticam D7000V inspection. My Nauticam NEX7 purchase was simple, a friend has it and I can open it up and inspect and I was thrilled.

My dream housing is this :

• Nauticam's kind of ergonomics and design philosophy

• Inon/Aquapazza magnetic based ring design for focus and zoom gear on the ports

http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/acquapazza-announces-housing-for-sony-nex-5n/

I am choosing the Nauticam RX100 Video version because I have the 4" SmallHD monitor already and I can use it on D800 too. All I need now is that monitor housing from Nauticam, dang it is expensive.

Thanks for the RecSea review Neo. When I get my Nauticam, I will write up some report for you yah.

Later
SP

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow