Best macro in a pocketable camera

Started Jul 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
SteB
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,743
Like?
Re: Best macro in a pocketable camera
In reply to Wascally Wabbit, Aug 18, 2012

Wascally Wabbit wrote:

Is there a good quality camera in the ~ $1,000 price range that is quite compact AND takes very sharp, detailed macro photos? I'm looking for something that is a good all-round camera that is close to pocketable (purse-able, except I don't carry one) and that acquits itself especially well in macro. A DSLR would be OK if it can be versatile with a single lens that isn't bulky. Maybe I'm looking for the impossible . . . but I'm hoping someone here knows of a few alternatives.

Recommendations much appreciated.

I've been looking at this for a long time. I was even searching for this solution in the old film days. Currently I just use a Sony HX9v for snapshots. It's quite capable and takes good video. However, not perfect.

The Sony RX100 looks promising. It's image quality is much the closest I have seen to a DSLR in a compact. It has a moderate built in macro ability. However, if you were able to use close-up lenses with it, this would improve. Hopefully a Lensmate adapter will be made for it.
http://www.lensmateonline.com/

The flash will probably be the biggest problem because it only has a built in one. I have a few diffuser designs which could work reasonably well with it, but I suspect it will be a bit lacking in power so it might require a higher ISO to be used.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow