D800 files: processing power difference mac/pc or Lightroom?

Started Aug 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
FtoDin5min
Regular MemberPosts: 401Gear list
Like?
D800 files: processing power difference mac/pc or Lightroom?
Aug 18, 2012

Hi,

I use mostly two computers: a desktop PC and a MacBook Pro retina. They are both pretty much new and at the top of the spec range (6 core i7 for PC, 16g of ram or more for both, top pc video card for PC, both above 3 Ghz, solid state drives, etc...).

I am traveling at the moment and thought I would do some lightroom development of the couple of hundreds shots I already took on this trip as I had a couple of spare hours on a train. Obviously using the mac laptop.
I normally always use my desktop PC for photo.

I could not imagine how much slower the experience was on my mac with the D800 raw files. Does anyone know if this is normal? Does Lightroom run much more slowly on mac?

I used to use a d200 and never really notice any difference between various computers systems, with obviously much smaller files.
Any experience welcome. Thanks

FtoDin5min's gear list:FtoDin5min's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended +5 more
Nikon D200 Nikon D800 Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow