Flat view
rovingtim
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,130
Like?
People assuming a new 4/3rds body on the way
Aug 18, 2012

Here's what DPReview reported:

Akira Watanabe, manager of Olympus Imaging's SLR planning department,

Is he? What exactly has he planning? A single body and no lenses in 3 years? Hard work.

confirmed today that the company is definitely working on a body to deliver the focusing performance expected by users of the Top Pro lens series like the ground breaking 90-250mm f2.8 fixed aperture zoom.

So are they saying the E5 doesn't? If focus is the only issue, then what is wrong with the E5 focus module? If it is agreed the E5 can focus the 90-250 satisfactorily (which you all assure me it can), then what exactly are they announcing? That the E5 focuses the 90-250 and Olympus is going to release another body that will continue to focus the 90-250?

Well, that's certainly worth a press release. I wonder when Nikon is going to announce that their next body will, excitingly, continue to focus their lenses as well?

Watanabe has been delighted with the success of the OM-D which has pushed the boundaries of performance for system cameras but acknowledged that it did not deliver with the legacy high end lenses from the E-System.

If this is a 4/3rds announcement, why is 4/3rds never mentioned while the OM-D is particularly noted? Not a single mention of 4/3rds, 4/3rds lenses, or the current E5 'flagship', or DSLR. Only the OM-D. And 'top-pro' lenses. It would having nothing to do with the fact that if they do make a m4/3rds body that can do this, they instantly get a free jump on that particular growing market segment could it? Naaah. That wouldn't interest Olympus. Has to be a 4/3rds body. Right? Because they are loyal to 4/3rds users just like me and you ...

Whilst further information wasn't forthcoming, he was keen to emphasise that Olympus is actively developing a solution and will announce more details in due course.

A solution to the problem that the E5 can focus? I would think that wouldn't take a lot of 'developing'. However, if the problem is what they actually state -- that the OM-D doesn't focus the big legacy lenses well -- then perhaps they actually mean they are working on a m4/3rds solution.

Now I'm really excited. I can't wait for this new 4/3rds body that you all tell me is coming.

Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow