Started Aug 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
zenit55
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?
Nikon refurbished - poor quality, buyer beware
Aug 18, 2012

Based on numerous instances of positive feedback about Nikon refurbished products online, I decided to go with this option, and ordered a D5100 kit from Adorama. Adorama order came very promptly with no problems, however what I found inside of the package was very disappointing.

The camera came in a "Nikon Reconditioned" box, which described the product as a camera that was reconditioned by Nikon USA at their factory. The kit came with all of the standard accessories, a lens and the camera body in a cardboard box and the bag. The lens was not packaged particularly well, just wrapped in some plastic and bubble wrap, and was banging around the box.

When I opened the camera I was amazed at the poor condition it was in. First, the camera appears to be used rather heavily. The plastic finish on the back of the display is rubbed off, leaving a thumb sized discolored spot. Upon closer examination, I noticed that the camera was probably smashed. The swivel by which the display is attached to the body is dented and cracked. It looks like somebody made a very poor attempt to fix it, but it still simply looks bad. Needless to say I am very disappointed by the quality of the product sold by Nikon and Adorama. A refurbished item with damage such as on this one should be expected from a shady ebay dealer, not from a large retailer like Adorama or company like Nikon.

I tried to call Adorama today, but they were closed. I will probably be returning it and I sure hope they will at least pay for shipping this thing back to them.

The most disappointing thing is that I actually needed this camera for a trip next week, now it looks like I will be stuck with my old D50 with barely functioning auto focus.

Nikon D50 Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow