Started Aug 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
James A Rinner
Senior MemberPosts: 1,493Gear list
Like?
Weather Tested OMD
Aug 18, 2012

I just spent 6 days on a dusty 50 mile mule trip! Having done part of this trip backpacking I knew there would be shots I would like to take between camps so I needed my camera out and ready. I used a camera harness from http://www.mycameraharness.com/ and it worked perfectly. Riding mules on trail involves a lot of dust and this first picture is typical after a couple of hours. I shot this with my wife's EPL-1. I kept the 12-50 on while riding but dusted it off at each break so I could shoot with other lenses.

On the 5th day it rained after we were arrived at the camp but while we were out shooting. The camera got pretty wet and my wife and I had to take shelter away from camp till it stopped raining. This shot only shows a little water on the camera but trust me it was pretty soaked prior to finding shelter.

I had no opportunity to charge any batteries but brought five fully charged (one Oly and four 3rd party batteries) with me. Because I wanted to make sure I had battery power for the whole trip I did very little previewing of the images. All were shot in RAW and these are the lenses I brought with me:

Panny 25mm 1.4, 32 photos
Panny 7-14, 460 photos
Oly 50mm macro, 5 photos
Oly 12-50, 610 photos
Oly 75-300 206photos

This moon shot was one where I wished I had used the preview more. I had a slight movement in the moon which, had I known, I would have changed the ISO.

I am really glad I brought the 75-300 with me to pick off compositions like this (and the moon)!

What a wonderful lens!

I wish I had more batteries and more time to shoot but we had to get up every morning early to eat, pack and ride five to seven hours! I really like this shot.

I quick shot of our small group on a non-dusty part of the trail. That is a long way down, but you can trust the mule to stay on the trail.

Some alpenglow on Cathedral Peak!

Tenaya Lake

Looking down Tenaya Canyon into Yosemite Valley

The Big Dipper! Here is where my preview screen was way off! The image you see here closely represents what I saw while previewing that night but when I got back to my computer the files were almost black and I had to increase the exposure by 3 stops!

Another shot while riding the mule.

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,

James A. Rinner

James A Rinner's gear list:James A Rinner's gear list
Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow