Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 14,364
Like?
Re: Good Luck
In reply to Sagittarius, Aug 17, 2012

Sagittarius wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Either camera will be a nice machine for your friend. In terms of focus they are far more similar than you might think. The D7000 seems too track better while the "single" mode on the D300s seems a bit more precise for small targets. You'll find pros/and cons to each...with a split as too which is better (I actually find the D7K in 9pt more precise than the D300s in single but I have far more familiarity with the D7K so that can be a player. In the last 10 months or so there have been very very few focus problems reported regards the D7K and the oil issue is a thing of the past. Build quality is better with the D300s and if you shoot RAW 12bit...the FPS rate on the D300s is better. If you shoot RAW 14bit the D7K wins in FPS and if shooting JPEG only....it's even. IQ of the D7K is a bit better as is resolution. About a stop lead for the D7000 at high ISO so if your friends shoots in DIM light often...May be far better served with the D7K. At base ISO normal scenes...they are about even. If your friend crops a lot...then the D7K gives more leeway in that regard. If your friend Is not a big RAW fan and simply a causal shooter...Flip a coin and enjoy.

Good Luck

Warning, no warranty associated with a used body so that can be a player for some.

Hi,

Maco 2011 gave a fair assessment, but there is one more difference between these two cameras. D300s has four shooting banks and four custom banks. For me it is a huge plus. I have one shooting bank set up for outdoors, one setup for flash, one for studio and one for actions. And I have four of custom banks set up to accommodate different conditions. All it takes is just to change banks and all settings are in. You can download manual and see what settings are in these banks.

Good call on that one. You really only have 2 on the D7K and the banks can be a great tool for the serious shooter.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow