In the meantime, a D3200 maybe? Has anyone here tried it?

Started Aug 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rockwallaby
Regular MemberPosts: 468
Like?
In the meantime, a D3200 maybe? Has anyone here tried it?
Aug 17, 2012

While I am generally very happy with my D300 and D300s bodies, there are low light situations where I cannot get good clean, low noise images from the D300. Red colours in the shadows always show noise. ISO 400 is the max that is workable, anything above that and sharpness is traded off for noise reduction.

So while waiting to see if Nikon is going to provide us with a D300s replacement, I have been considering the D3200. Yes I understand that the D3200 is entry level and does not have all the bells and whistles of a "pro" body. The primary intended use is for sports and I feel that I can live with the D3200's lower frame rate. Better to have a body that is capable of getting a useable shot in low light situations than use the D300 and be frustrated at having a shot that is ruined by the evidence of noise.

One concern I have with the D3200 is focus speed. I use 70-200 f2.8 VRII and 300mm f2.8 VR lenses.

Have any D300 users already tried the D3200 and if so what are your experiences with it? My main areas of interest are your thoughts on -

Focus speed & accuracy
Image noise up to ISO 1600 (particularly in red colours)
Image quality in general

I have considered the D7000. It is not a D300 replacement and the cost is too high for any interim benefit so I am not interested in going down that path.

The D3200 has some limitations but I feel it is worthy of having in my bag for low light conditions. At the current price I feel that it is worth a try until Nikon reveal the direction they will take on the future of high end DX.

What has been your experience so far in using the D3200?

Cheers,

Nikon D300 Nikon D300S Nikon D3200 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow