UV and Polarizing Filters for OMD

Started Aug 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
3DrJ
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027Gear list
Like?
Are you sure you need them?
In reply to DrPartagas, Aug 17, 2012

DrPartagas wrote:

I need to buy both UV and Polarizing filters for my OMD but after reviewing the B+W choices at B&H, I am a bit unclear as to which types of each 46mm filter that I should purchase.

I want to buy the best quality glass no matter which company builds it

Can you please reccommend a UV and Polarizer (Circular...or other ) so I may make one best choice when I purchase.

It's not clear what you need the filters for. If not really necessary, better off without a filter in the optical path. Filters inevitably degrade (a least a little) image quality, and those that do so to a minimal degree are expensive.

A polarizing filter may be useful under certain conditions, to reduce specular reflections, or manage brightness of sky, water, snow, etc., in landscape work. Unless these are prominent in the kind of photography you do, or for special purposes (like photographing art work for publication), you may very well save the money for something more worthy.

I would heartily recommend getting lens hoods/shades. Not only do they reduce flare produced by sunlight, etc., but also offer mechanical protection from hazards. I like collapsible rubber hoods, which fit in the filter thread. They are inexpensive, durable, effective when needed and out of the way when collapsed.

JRA

-- hide signature --

Artists must not only see, but see what they are seeing.

3DrJ's gear list:3DrJ's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow