Sigma Foveon banding: Random noise or sensor defect?

Started Aug 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
Joerg V
Contributing MemberPosts: 563Gear list
Like?
Today's weather forecast: Shitstorm
In reply to Andrew Hodgkinson, Aug 17, 2012

Andrew, I hope your exchange DP2M will be as good as you expect it to be.

It is a common mistake to confuse the message with the messenger. So findings - no matter how sound they are - will always raise a riot.

As a matter of fact I am quite disappointed by Sigma. When the SD1 was announced I gathered two grands for camera and lenses... only to be totally alienated by the initial price. Then the new DP cameras were announced I got my hopes up again. Now there is that noise and banding problem... I have not yet seen one DP2M image with a tatally smooth sky. Even Sandy's DP2M - which seems to be a good sample - shows signs of banding. Two of my DP1 are down with broken lens so I am even more unsecure whether I should spend a grand on a camera that might be brittle.

The Foveon output can be fantastic - I have seen amazing images from the DP2M and the SD1(M). I still love the images of my DP1 and it is no overstatement to say that this small camera is by far the most influential gadget I had in my life.

However...

Joerg V's gear list:Joerg V's gear list
Sigma DP1 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow