Hmm, sell 35L and 24-70L to get the new 24-70II?

Started Aug 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
Marcos Villaroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,250Gear list
Like?
OK. Trade the 24-70 mk I for a Tamron, then
In reply to JackM, Aug 17, 2012

JackM wrote:

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

Really simple to decide: how much do you use the 35L?

That is the thing, I use it a lot. In fact, since getting it about 18 months ago, I've barely used my 24-70. Maybe my attitude would change with the mk II, but I love the handling of the 35L and the extra 2 stops.

I use my 35L a lot too. For one thing, it is my favorite lens for panorama shots using a tripod and a pano head.

if you can sell the 35L and 24-70L mk I for enough to cover for a 24-70 mk II, I say go for it.

That is the other thing, I'm pretty sure selling both would cover the 24-70 mk II, or at least make it very easy.

In my case, I rented a 24-70 mk I and a Tamron 24-70 at the same time to see how they compare to my 24-105.

I think I'm going to buy the Tamron 24-70 for my constant f/2.8 option. Optically it is equal to the mk I. I can't stomach paying $2300 for a mk II that doesn't have IS. I know how shaky I can get at the end of a long day of shooting and the Tamron is lighter, smaller, and has image stabilization. I haven't heard of AF issues with Tamron and it works well enough with my 5D3.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +39 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow