rx100 great images, processed, film days??

Started Aug 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
villebon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,160
Like?
Re: rx100 great images, processed, film days??
In reply to villebon, Aug 17, 2012

villebon wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Most of the truly appealing rx100 pics on the forum have been pp. many are waiting for true RAW power to come.

Makes me wonder about the film days, and how much special knowledge, special film, special print paper, dark room techniques were involved in most of the truly appealing pics in those days. (not saying film is gone, just, how processed were/are they?)

When enlarging, you needed to adjust contrast, both local and global using filters, usually #2 for portraits, # 3-4 for landscape. And then at the same time you wanted to get the print density just right. If you wanted to make an exhibition print, then you could spend an enormous amount of time on just one print.

One thing I forgot, is that there was a lot of print dodging and burning in that most of the prints needed some in varying degrees. I used mostly my hand to shield the light although I had a collection of small oddly shaped cartons attached at the end of a wire for doing the same.

-- hide signature --

Villebon

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow