Started Aug 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NewYorkEd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,515
Like?
Is my Hard Drive dying???
Aug 17, 2012

I have a Gateway desktop, Windows 7, i5, 4 GB Ram, 1 TB hard drive. Bought it brand new at J&R in January 2011. The computer ran perfectly, up until now, August 2012 – had it now for 1 year and 9 months. I only use it for photos, music, word processing, and watching some reality show videos on HULU.

Starting a week ago, after boot-up, sometimes 2 minutes or sometimes 30 minutes or 3 hours, my computer freezes and the image on my monitor looks like this – (photos below) – red lines run through the screen. Mouse and keyboard are totally useless. I have to pull the plug. This is happening every day now and a few times a day when I on the computer.

I ran the Recovery disk that I made when I bought the computer and set my computer back to factory condition. And again for a second time, for extra assurance, I ran the Recovery from the computer setting it back to factory condition again. I downloaded all of the MS updates. But the problem still happens. Is my hard drive dying, or is there something else wrong? Only once did I get a blue screen stating there was a problem either with either newly installed hardware or the software, but no details were listed as to what. 2 months ago I put in 4GB extra Ram but there was no problem with that.

This is happening every time I am on the computer. Sometimes the computer runs for 30 minutes or about 3 hours and then it freezes.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Ed

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow