Started Aug 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
harold1968
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,687Gear list
Like?
D800(E) - 1st travel/holiday - Strictly Amateur
Aug 17, 2012

Finally (and unfortunately) back from my first holiday with the D800E, just a recount of my experiences

Just to say upfront I take pictures for fun, so for pro shots please look away now

I went with two lenses, the 35mm f1.4G and 85mm f1.4G, but ended up using the 35mm 99% of the time.

Its a great walkaround focal length, and the camera fits nicely into the Kata LighTri-312 with a few spare SD cards and some pentax microfibre wipes. The bag is very comfortable and quick small, so easy to carry around everywhere.

I was visiting northern Israel (and a bit of Jerusalem).

The temperature went from 40 degrees C and 70% humidity to freezing cold air conditioning multiple times per hour
The equipment never blinked.

I used a 64gb Sandisk extreme card, but also the camera performed well with a Samsung 16gb class 10 and mobymemory (UK) own brand.

I found some issues with CF cards (e.g. a kingston one, a fuji one made by Sony) so even though my Sandisk CF cards worked ok, decided to go just with SD cards

Having f1.4 means you can go from glaring sunlight to inside a cave in a blink and is very useful:

The colour and detail rendering of the 35mm with the D800E sensor is really superb:

B&W rendering is being talked about alot due to the Leica M9-M. Personally I'll take 36mp and the rendering and AF of the D800E any day (for half the price):

I don't carry a tripod, but the occasional brick wall is helpful:

Difficult to characterise this camera. It does so much well, e.g. street photography:

and landscapes:

and Knight's Templar escape tunnels:

Anyway goodbye summer holiday for another year:

I fully expect the D800E to still be state of the art for my summer holiday next year but who knows!

best rgds

-- hide signature --
 harold1968's gear list:harold1968's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Sony RX1R Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow