Started Aug 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Paul Farace
Contributing MemberPosts: 731Gear list
Like?
Mars Rover Observation...
Aug 17, 2012

As a former NASA employee and space cadet, I have been following NASA for most of my 54 years on this planet. I have to say I am shocked and clueless about the lack of an American flag on the Martian rover Curiosity. Unlike the Viking landers of 1976 which sported large flag decals on a sensor enclosure so that initial images from the surface of the Red Planet included this patriotic symbol stating "we have arrived!" the 2-mp images from Curiosity show a small NASA and JPL logo only. So I guess this is a bast&$d lander, devoid of national affiliation. The moon landings all included flags, as did the shuttle orbiters, and virtually all US spacecraft. But today, we must not think it is important that these Billion-dollar robotic ambassadors carry the symbol of the nation that went into greater debt with China to fund them!

I am very sad.
--

Holding a camera, any camera, reduces my blood pressure, calms my nerves, and gives me a sense of opportunity!

Paul Farace's gear list:Paul Farace's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow