Can you recommond a monitor for me?

Started Aug 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
NewsyL
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,437
Like?
Re: Can you recommond a monitor for me?
In reply to byawk, Aug 17, 2012

byawk wrote:

I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, so forgive me if this thread is misplaced.

I'm looking to buy a new monitor in the $450-$650 range (I'm also obtaining a calibrator) to be used primarily for photo processing -- in other words, gaming, movie-watching, and other uses of it aren't high priorities to me. To me, color accuracy and quality are more important than the monitor dimensions, though I'd like to not go smaller than a 24" if I can help it.

Anyway, is there any guidance you can give me? What do you think are some of the best choices, given my budget?

Plenty of posts on monitors and calibrators in the "PC Talk" forum.

$450 to $650 will get you into a 24" 1920x1200 monitor that has a H-IPS type LCD panel, 10bit color depth and 12 or 14bit LUT (internal processing), and a wide gamut using a W-CCFL back light. This last point should be considered carefully, especially if you are using a WinOS.

Two monitors that fit the above description are the:

Dell U2410
ASUS PA246Q

If you think you don't need a wide gamut monitor and a standard sRGB gamut model will suffice, you may want to wait a couple of weeks for the new Dell U2713HM to arrive.

The Dell U2713HM will offer a 27" 2560x1440 AH-IPS LCD panel with W-LED back light offering a 99%+ coverage of the sRGB color space. I expect that after about 6 weeks or so, Dell will have their first sale/coupon on it and you'll likely be able to get it for about $550-600.

The least expensive wide gamut 27" is the Dell U2711. Similar to the above, but with a 10bit color depth and 12 bit LUT, the best sale price I've seen on it is $670 in Canada, and the USA usually has prices similar at some time or other.

Anyway.... I strongly suggest browsing the PC Talk forum, go back a couple of months as anything discussed in that time period will still be current.

While there, you'll want to also read posts on these calibrators:

X-Rite Colorvision Display
X-Rite i1 Display Pro
Datacolor Spyder4 Pro
Datacolor Spyder4 Elite

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow