Started Aug 17, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TheD70Kid
Regular MemberPosts: 148Gear list
Like?
Using D800 for Video Interviews
Aug 17, 2012

I'll try to keep this post short, I appreciate people looking and hopefully lending advice.

I belong to a WWII veterans reunion group that will be meeting in about a month. I was just honored with the opportunity to do video interviews with the few veterans that will be able to attend. Every year there are fewer and fewer vets so any chance to video is precious.

I'm a perfectionist. Which is good and bad.

I currently own a D300 with about a dozen lenses (mostly DX) and a Sony HVD miniDV 1080p handycam (I think it's about 6 years old).

I have been lusting over the D800 since it was internet vaporware. I do know that it has pretty nice video features (much better than my Sony handycam).

I feel like my need to buy the D800 has become catalyzed by this situation. I am already planning on covering the reunion through photographs (with my D300), but if I get the D800 I would, no doubt, have a better "all-in-one" solution.

What are your thoughts? These guys are heroes to me and I want to have the best for myself, for them, and their families.

If I do get the D800, I would need to get lighting . If I'm going to be spending a tremendous amount of money on the D800, I will need to sacrifice some on lighting. I would like to get a couple (soft) hot lights just to have a professional look to the video. Are there any kits someone could recommend within a reasonable price?

Just to be clear, I am doing all of this for free. These guys sacrificed so much that it's the least I can do.

I am a professional photographer (independent as well as with a company) so purchasing this equipment would go to good use, it's not simply for this single event.

Decisions need to be made ASAP.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --
Nikon D300 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow