Started Aug 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
The_cheshirecat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169Gear list
Like?
Go for it!
In reply to happysnapper62, Aug 17, 2012

That's my recommendation

happysnapper62 wrote:

I was going to get the new update for my 7D but have seen many posts here about possible problems. Would it be a better idea to hang on a while to see if any slight flaws are ironed out before I go ahead? lee uk

It took 5 minutes from download to being back in business today. I did have to reset some of the basic camera settings (date, time) but many of my other settings remained where I normally keep them (e.g. high-speed burst).

Like you I waited a while to see what the early reports would be. I saw a very small number of actual issues reported after the update. Of those I attributed the problems to user error or coincidences which probably would have happened even without installing the update.

If anyone would be expected to have issues it would be the likes of me. I upgraded from FW v 1.0.7 . This was the FW on the first deliveries when the 7D was initially released in the US (and elsewhere?). Most early deliveries do not go this low and only a couple of others reported thier FW delivered with this version. Other early deliveries wer typically 1.0.9 or later. For the past 3 years I never bothered upgrading the FW (never found the need or desire), until now.

All should be fine as long as you follow the update instructions precisely .

-- hide signature --

I started in the 50's - my first picture was taken with a Leica and hooked me for life. I no longer use my Leicas, but I am still taking pictures. Some things never change.

The_cheshirecat's gear list:The_cheshirecat's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 600mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow