Started Aug 16, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Samuel Dilworth
Regular MemberPosts: 222
Like?
GR Digital IV: perfect street camera?
Aug 16, 2012

I pop my head in here from time to time, because I just love Ricoh's ethos of unashamedly making cameras for photographers. It's flattering to imagine oneself walking down the street with a GR Digital in hand, firing off cleverly observed snapshots with the greatest of ease.

Such dreaming led me to buy a GR Digital II. But this camera was too noisy and slow for my taste, and I got rid of it within a couple of months ( http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1013&message=40692967 ). I liked almost everything else about the camera. The lens was a real beaut.

The GR Digital III seemed ideal on paper – new sensor, better shot-to-shot times, faster lens – but reports of high-ISO banding noise gave me pause.

The GR Digital IV was shockingly expensive when it came out, and it's still very pricey. But my compact camera is my most-used camera, so maybe it's worth spending serious money on it.

Question: is the GR Digital IV as good as it seems? No hidden gotchas to worry about? Does the stabilisation work? Has anyone regretted buying one? Why didn't Ricoh put a GPS receiver in it?

I know the Sony RX100 is the darling of the moment, but I've rejected it for my own use on several grounds, while acknowledging its innovation and broad appeal.

Ricoh GR Digital II Ricoh GR Digital III Ricoh GR Digital IV Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow